The Wonder Years


Photograph from the Internet

Former Goethals Memorial School students relive Billy Bunter days as the institute’s centenary celebrations begin, writes Mathures Paul

Over the years you meet a lot of people. Some of them stick with you through thick and thin, some weave their way through your life and disappear but some earn a permanent place in your heart ~ your school friends. You don't need to study in your parent's school to understand the meaning of reunions, and the generation gap between two individuals is forgotten when they find out they are from the same school. In the course of the last 100 years, Goethals Memorial School has given birth to Olympians, scientists, actors, teachers and, most importantly, honest citizens. Established in 1907, the school begins its centenary celebrations.
This is probably the only Indian boarding school to have produced three Olympic gold medallists ~ Joseph T Galibardy (Berlin, 1936), Cyril J Mitchie (Berlin, 1936) and Chaman Sing Gurung (Helsinki, 1952).
Galibardy, the only surviving member of the trio, flew down from England without caring about his age. The 92-year-old is still fit as a fiddle. He never had to see a Chak De! to find inspiration and his dedication to the game will not be forgotten, at least not by the school, which will name its playground and pavilions after the trio.
"I ran away from school time and again and ended up working for the railway company. In 1934 I played for the B team and in 1935 I was selected for the A side. In two years I was skilled enough to be accepted in the team for the 1936 Olympics. Hitler was his usual self until we were four goals ahead. Forget receiving prizes from him, he left in a huff. The German team members were not good sports as they left the field without shaking hands," recalls Joe. "I would have played the 1948 and 1952 Olympics but my wife was expecting."
Another famed student of Goethals Memorial School who attended the programme held in the city was Dr Prakash Bhartia, a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, the Canadian Academy of Engineers, the Engineering Institute of Canada, the IEEE, and the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineers. To honour Bhartia's contribution towards electro-magnetic systems, a postage stamp has been released by the Canadian government. "I was on the opposite end of the spectrum and was the studious kind. Schooling was not about a few books or lessons. Three months of the year I spent playing cricket, when the rains came down I played football and between September and November it was time for hockey," says Bhartia, who was awarded the Order of Canada for his contribution.
Recalling his childhood days, Calcutta-born Bhartia says, "Goethals Memorial School was my home. There were a few students and everyone was a familiar face."
Goethals Memorial School was established and named in memory of the Archbishop of Calcutta, Rev. Count Dr Jean-Paul Goethals. On 29 April 1907, the then British Lt.-Governor of Bengal Sir Andrew Fraser travelled by the Darjeeling Himalayan Railways, which stopped at a specially constructed rail siding below the school.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I also graduated from Goethals in 2000, and have some fond memories with friends. However, I also have to say that there were many negative aspects of GMS. The use of severe punishments and the frequent beatings, in retrospect, were the worst things that happened to me ever. I don't think I ever want to go back to visit. In 2006, when I was in Kurseong, I refused to visit GMS because of the past physical abuses. Hope they have discontinued the use of physical punishment.
Anupam said…
I PASSED OUT FROM GMS IN 2004...I STILL HAVE ALL THE FOND MEMORIES OF THAT TIME..I WISH I COULD BACK TO THOSE DAYS.AND EVERY TIME I GO KURSEONG I MAKE IT A POINT TO VISIT GMS ATLEAST ONCE..AND I JUST LAZE AROUND THE GARDENS AND 1ST FIELD ..I WALK UPTO MT.CARMEL N,AMIDST FLORA AND FAWNA,NOT TO MENTION TROOPS OF MONKEYS..ITS AMAZING ..AND AS FAR AS PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT IS CONCERNED MR. ANONYMOUS HAS POTRAYED IT AS IF SOME KIND OF PHYSICAL ABUSE THAT USED TO GO ON...I DONT KNOW HOW CAN THAT BE A REASON TO NOT TO VISIT THE PLACE WHERE U HAD SPEND THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PHASE OF YOUR LIFE...WELL...MAYBE NOT SO BEAUTIFUL FOR YOU MR.ANONYMOUS..
Unknown said…
I was in Goethals for seven years passing out in 1985.
The best days of my life have been spent in the scenic environs of GMS.
Pabitra Pathak
Manish Kumar said…
Hello Mathures Paul

Interesting blog. Can you kindly share your contact no at my email id headkidsys@gmail.com
I am interested in knowing more about your interaction with the hockey legend, Mr Joseph Galibardy.

Best
Manish Kumar

Popular posts from this blog

The drums of change

Junior Statesman

The Singer not the song